Friday, July 24, 2009

Fieldtrip to Pocatello and...

We had a trip to Pocatello on Monday, July 20th. I can't say it was a good one, but it was a trip. We had planned to go first to Pocatello then on to Franklin. An achievable goal, if you leave the children and grumpy people at home.

Our voyage included, Mom (driver), Dad (grumpy person), Kyrie (only one who had fun), Carolyn (terror extraordinaire), and myself (genealogist).

We started off late... I forgot my purse and we had to go home...and break into the house. Fortunately the living room window was open able and I was able to lift Kyrie in. I would not have gone back for it, but it had the money for the trip and my camera. Mom didn't bring her camera.

The directions from Yahoo and Google were off...way off. We found everything OK, but only because Mom and Dad know a bit about where things are in Pocatello.

My great uncle, the stillborn baby boy Jarvis.... We found his grave, but it's not marked. So, a new fieldtrip needs to be planned to mark the grave.

After lunch, and tearing my leg up trying to get Carolyn out of the playground at McDonald's, we went to the County Courthouse. I went to the records window. The woman was on a cell phone. After 20 minutes the woman at a neighboring window finally told me where to find the records I was looking for. The other woman was still on the phone when we left. In the office where the records are kept from the 1920's, I was quickly assisted. I sat down with the record book and went through it twice. Great Grandma Basil's divorce records were not there. So on to Boise....another day.

Leaving there Dad was cranky and irritated. Carolyn was done. We deiced to leave Franklin for another trip, and headed home. At Fort Hall Dad had us stop to show the girls the Buffalo and the small museum. Carolyn was fascinated by the dead animals. Kyrie was entranced by the models.

Yep, spent all that money and time for for two null answers. Now I have even more questions....

No comments:

Post a Comment